Tuesday 2 June 2009

Aly's Story - Ponderings From My Journey

Just like our run my overview needs a start and that start has to be Malcolm, for without him there would be no tale to reflect upon. I am fortunate to have a friend whose vision in all things running matches mine, there is no divide - we love to plan and we then love to run our plan!

The planning and procrastinating was such fun, evenings spent with maps and trail guides, measuring daily distances (accurate to within 10 miles!) booking 49 nights accommodation - quite a challenge even before we set off.

Our journey has been memorable, the sights and places, the wildlife, the flowers, the wonderful natural phenomena - Couldron Snout, High Cup Nick, High Force, the valleys and mountains, the website sky, the Spring moving with us up the country, the gale force wind on Cross Fell, the Cheviot Hills, Dunrobin Castle, fording the estuary on Sinclairs Bay; all have added up to an experience I will cherish forever.

Laughter has always played a big part in each day, we have had fun - even when Malcolm became stuck in a bog on the Cheviot Hills and then shortly afterwards got an electric shock - boy did we giggle, well one of us did!

The people we have met along the way, to name but a few; Clive - the Ashby 20 guy we met at Porthleven, Jude and Dave -the cyclists from the Wirral who we met in Lower Slaughter and again at Chipping Campden (on both occasions we were sitting down - honest we did run!), Carolyn and Mike - who we met at the end of a tough days run in Yorkshire, Carolyn becoming our Fairy Godmother near her home at Drumnadrochit! You were all the very nucleus around which our trip took shape and turned out to provide some of my warmest memories - thank you all.

To my friends and family that have always been there, I can only thank you and say my success was down to you.

Thank you's also to all who have kindly given to our chosen charities, Marie Curie and Macmillan nurses.

To Jessica and Matt whose devotion knows no bounds - few would happily have stayed in a matchbox in Tyndrum with us and appeared to enjoy the experience. Also to Jessica for her PR skills which are second to none!

Charles, I love your clouds.

To Barbara, a remarkable friend who has always inspired me, a lady whose kindness is boundless.

To 'Miss' Joanne and Dave - friends in a million.

To Gary and Mary, for their unflappable support and raising the bar in the catering competition!

To new friends Gill and Bernard, who took me under their wing.

To Pam and Frank - who made Uttoxeter to Youlgreave a day to remember rather than to forget.

To Chris and Justyna, it was a pleasure to meet you and we loved the Toblerones.

To Linda, Barbara and Harry - what a great conclusion to our trip.

To Chris, whose devotion never ceases to amaze me, whose belief in me is unwavering. Thank you for never doubting me and being selfless in helping me to achieve my goal.

To the many who appeared throughout our trip to support us or run with us. You all helped to make my dream come true - a million thanks to you all.

Much love, Aly xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both of you, I have enjoyed reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Aly,

You did absolutely fantastic you should be so over the moon. What's your next race.....

I always remember our runs together, you are just a very special person.

Lots of love

Andrew and family

cheviot hills homes for sale said...

Thanks for the information. we will pass it on to our readers and we have a blog
that caters to blog readers in cheviot hills and Beverly hills. So well pass on out our senior club. Thanking you. cheviot hills homes for sale